One of the articles I read about teens and chores and making sure you are turning out respectable human beings into the world mentioned having “your teen make dinner for the family”. This makes a lot of sense to me. It is helpful but also practical in that there is a high likelihood of willingness and them being able to cook for themselves.
Mulling this over, my marriage to a southern boy has inherently come with a wifely mandate of semi regular red beans and rice. Red beans and rice legit never goes bad in this house. It is consumed and consumed again until it is gone and – who loves it the most? Aria.
So, Aria, who is virtual on Wednesdays – agreed to learn how to make red beans and rice. And not just any red beans and rice. I am teaching Aria how to make the red beans and rice recipe we have been iterating on. (Yes, we have agile recipe development in this house.)
This is the current version I have captured for our household red beans and rice. Try it out :)
Oh – and here’s our playlist she made from our roadtrip this summer you are welcome to enjoy while you cook up some red beans! We did.
Chop 1 yellow onion, 1 green pepper, 2 cloves of garlic and 2 celery stalks and set aside in a bowl
Chop up a package of andouille sausage and set aside in a bowl
Get out Worcesterhire sauce, 2 quarts of broth, your spices and your mustard (we use spicy brown or stone ground)
- Heat 2 – 3 T olive oil on medium high in a pot
- Add chopped veggies to pot
- Stir chopped veggies up so they are covered in oil
- Add as least two shakes of liquid smoke to the veggies – more if you want it smokier. Stir it up.
- Lower heat to medium and cover while you do the next step
- Add 1 T Worcestershire sauce and 1 T fancy mustard to the sausage and loosely mix
- Add sausage mix from step 6 to translucent veggies and give it a good mix
- Add 3 T taco seasoning, 1 tsp celery salt, 1 tsp salt and give it another good mix
- With the base of veggies and sausage mix all working well together, add 4 cans of drained red beans
- Add 2 quarts of chicken or veggie stock
- Taste the broth and see if you want to add a little bit of sugar. Not proud of this move, but we like it with a twist of sweet
- Bring to a boil, pray over it ya know and then lower to simmer for 30 – 45 minutes
Make your rice to complete the dish. Enjoy. :)